View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 10:31 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 07EXPYEL
I got my Expy back last night. I didn't want to mess with a complete repaint of the roof, so I just had them apply touchup paint to the few trouble spots. The roof line is out of site unless you're standing on the running board. I'm satisfied with the repair and they were nice enough to leave me a fresh bottle of touch up paint. A nice gesture considering I've spent more on gas than what the paint costs taking it to the dealer 3 times for this issue (once for the service writer, once for the body man to give his opinion, and lastly the repair)
I'm certain as our vehicles age, we'll start to see the paint crack off of the roof seal since its a painted elastomer that will flex and the paint will not stick to as well as metal. Mine may be more obvious than others because of my white paint, and the sealant is black. Most vehicles nowadays use a black rubber trim piece to cover the gap.
I agree with the channels. I know they have to put something over the weld seam. I guess if it starts to look bad you could put your own rubber molding.

As far as the rust fix, I think your going to be ok. You can also get a prep pen like this to clean away the rusted/bubbling paint, clean the surface, prime let dry paint, let dry then clear coat. They sell the primer and clear coat pens at any auto parts stores.

It's a shame Ford has sunk to the level that are at as far as paint quality. My hinges were not even painted from the factory. When they re-painted the roof, they painted them though. The paint is so thin on the roof it is ridiculous.