View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 08:01 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by spaz369
I have the 4.0L v6. When I start the truck and it is cold, it idles terrible. Put it in gear and its even worse. If I let the truck warm up, it will run fine as long as the engine is warm. Even after I shut it off and run an errand or something it will start and run just fine. Any Ideas?
Welcome to FTE.

With the clue about it starting & running poorly when cold, but starting, ideling & running ok After it fully warms up, you may have more than one problem.

Do you have a CEL lit???? If so, run this puppy by your favorite autoparts store for a no cost computer trouble code scan & post All of the code Numbers found, as they can offer up good trouble shooting clues, if you have more than one problem.

As has been mentioned the Idle Air Control (IAC) is a frequent problem part for idle issues & cleaning it often doesn't last & thats what I found with mine & as such Ford recommends replacement, rather than cleaning.
So, if you decide to clean yours & it clears the problem, if/when it returns at least you'll know what to replace.

If you clean it with a strong solvent, Don't let that solvent get into the IAC's little black caps air filter, or into the cylindrical end where the electrical connector attaches, as strong solvents can damage the air filter, or dissolve the formvar insulation on the solenoids windings & short them out.

So maybe consider using something more benign, like WD-40 or the like & a wire brush type pipe cleaner, for removing any deposits.
Here is a link to the Tech Info thread atop this forum about the 4.0L IAC, what it looks like & where it is on your engine.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...formation.html

Has the PCV valve been replaced???? What I'm thinking here is that it may be gummed/sludged up such that it's hanging open when cold & causing an uncalculated for vacuum leak, that the IAC can't compensate for, but frees up & works after the engine warms up.

Or maybe you have a Vapor Recovery or EGR system vacuum leak, or lazy O2 sensors or even fuel pressure troubles, that's figuring in on the cold idle problem, so any trouble codes for those systems would tattle on them.

Are you up to date on all past & present due scheduled maintenance items????

A bunch more thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes.

Last edited by pawpaw; 10-07-2009 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Add IAC link