View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 07:01 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
I'll first welcome you to the group. Glad to have you.

I see that you live in Iowa. From the pictures, your truck has sunk into that black Iowa gumbo pretty deep. Before you get too far into spending money I'd suggest getting a good look at the frame and supporting suspension parts. If you've got that much rust in the fenders and bed, you'll be at risk in the frame too. Like Ilya says, body parts for F-2s and F-3s are different and difficult to find in good condition. You'll be like me and will spend your time looking for donors.

Another challenge you will face pertains to your wheels and rear axle. The wheels used on F-3s were a two part 17" design that have come to be called "widow makers". Besides the fact that yours have been down in the mud for years and are no doubt ruined, the design alone renders them useless. No reputable shop will work on them anymore for safety and liability reasons. Here's a couple pictures of one showing the raised band area that is the overlapping joint. I'll also post a cross section picture showing the construction.

Name:  f-3rim.jpg
Views: 2208
Size:  28.3 KB
Name:  FirestoneRH-5degree004.jpg
Views: 2337
Size:  140.5 KB
Name:  Budd1949FirestoneRH5degree.jpg
Views: 2224
Size:  25.5 KB

Complicating your search for replacements is the rear axle. All F-3s from the 1948 introduction until mid year 1951 used 14" rear brake drums. F-2s during that time period used 12" rear drums. Late '51 and '52 F-3s used the same 12" drums that were sourced on the earlier lighter duty F-2 models. Finding replacement one part tubeless wheels to clear the drums can be a challenge. Some members have had luck getting later 16s or 16.5s to clear, others have said they rub the drum. There are 17.5" tubeless rims that will work, but you'll have to do some looking to find them. A simpler solution to all this is to swap out the stock Timken 4.86 ratio rear and find a Dana 60 rear from a '67-'72 F-250. It should bolt right in. Here's a pic of a green '52 that is in a museum out west. Stu

Attached Images