View Single Post
Old 09-25-2009, 05:27 PM
iam me
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing New Injector Pump

I have another thread on tools for this but, I thought a discussion on the actual installation might be appreciated by others too.

I found this old thread about setting the IP timing which mentions a little of the install procedure for a new IP; https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tallation.html But I know that most of you set your timing by ear without the fancy tools. Let's hear your experience.

Perhaps we could mull over some of the simpler procedures for the less experienced of us here.

One question I would like confirmation on is the drive gear alignment; I get that the IP is like the distributor in an gas engine and, that aligning the cam and drive gears with TDC on #1 cylinder is critical, but I am unsure about the IP alignment with the drive gear. If I align the "y"s on the drive gear and the IP cog along with the alignment dowel with #1 cyl TDC , all will be good? Do I need the dowel or can I use a punch or other small bar? The manual didn't really go into detail on installing and aligning the IP gear on a new IP. It referred to making your own alignment marks during disassembly but nothing on a new IP alignment. At least not in the IP section, I'll read other sections to see if it's elsewhere. but, you would think that a new IP alignment would at least be referenced in the IP section.... Maybe drive gear or timing or.....

Also what type of after market gasket goop is best for the drive gear cover? I really don't want to spend the 500% markup at the dealer for some gasket sealer, or anything else for that matter. Not if I can help it.

Plus what else might I need that isn't mentioned in the manual that only experience can tell us about??

Inquiring Minds Want To Know....