Old 09-20-2009, 02:18 PM
montanafordman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll echo the many thanks for this post Racerguy! I had a shop do my lower ball joints about 3 years ago - and they didn't grease them when they were installed so one road trip accross the country towing a trailer and they were shot already within the first 5K miles - so for the last three years they were so siezed up they wouldn't take much grease, which would quiet the squeaks for a short time, and lately it would take NO grease and it was downright embarrasing to drive my truck through the nieghborhood - especially at the weird hours I work with a truck you can hear coming a block away! Of course with the lowers worn out I figured everything else was wearing twice as fast so I finnally did the uppers, lowers, inner and outer tie rods, all four shocks with my dad over labor day weekend and MAN what a difference!! I missed how nice it was to drive a quiet truck! It was SCARY how much play was in the drivers side lower ball joint! and they were put in only 40K ago! After that was done I could hear my rear end squeaking when I was backing up so I also replaced my U-joints which solved that issue as well. My shocks were original at 150K so needless to say they were past due! When I compressed them by hand and pulled them out of the shock towers they stayed compressed for a minute or two until they S L OW LY exteded again! My pickup drives like a brand new truck now let alone its SILENT! I saved about 1500 in labor costs! I also have the satisfaction knowing the job was done RIGHT and that I installed high end MOOG parts and most importantly GREASED THEM! Kudos for the great post - except I hate you all who did it in 2.5 hours! A little learning curve for me, some frustration but it worked out - and if anyone else is on the fence about this - go for it!

-Montanafordman