View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 03:51 AM
killit
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same situation. Only intended on replacing the sensor. At first glance i thought the vane on the shaft was in good shape and that i had just lucked out. the magnet had broken off and was right in the center of the vane but broken into a couple peices and plastic/metal "dust" was found. I removed the debris with compressed air. I could NOT get the new sensor to seat properly and then realized the C vane was intact but BENT. I did NOT want to spend the money nor the effort to replace the whole assembly b/c i'm already several hundred dollars into this truck simply as a "spare" truck for hunting etc. I was literally going to put the old sensor back on and just leave it unplugged (the truck still runs decent on PCM data)... and live with the CEL lit.

I figured what the heck, before doing that i may as well make an attempt to straighten it out. I took a pair of pliers gripped the vane and outside of shaft with plier from 2 different angles and squeezed almost as hard as i could. I really was surprised it wasn't breaking completely off! actually it bent back to "near-round", not perfect by any means but i thought there was a 30% chance i could get the new sensor to seat, and 10% chance it would work without breaking the new sensor upon the 1st revolution of the vane.

Hooked it all up, started, ran the same as it did before actually, but the code cleared and hasn't came back .. its been about 300 miles! yea!!