View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 08:06 AM
jsalty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NumberDummy, Thank you very much for the reply and information as this is exactly what I needed.
A quick question, I no longer have the original axle bearings to make sure my repalcements are the correct size. Will the difference be obvious upon installation (I will also measure the ID of the axle housing).

The previous owner had two trucks this F100 (70)and an F250 (72) he used for parts. He told me he took the 3rd member in the F100 from the F250 and then threw the 'original' in the bed of the F100 before I pulled out, along with a bunch of other stuff. So it sounds like he way full of crap. I went to get universal joints for my truck and had to go back to get the correct rear one, I ended up requiring one from a 72 F250.. So at least the Yoke if off a F250 or somehow stuff got mixed up..

The Axles had sealed ball bearings pressed on. I also have 28 spline axles and do not have limited slip but would like to replace the open carrier with a limited slip when I rebuild the 3.83 gears, I am assuming you can get limited slip with 28 spline. But first I need to rebuild the 4.10 gears.

Thank you again for all the useful information. One day I will figure out what I have and this forum will be the driving force behind that.