View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 08:44 AM
lopitt85
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Power to fuel pumps

'89 F250, 5.8L, dual tanks

I was having an issue with the fuel pumps not pumping fuel, but I could hear the high pressure pump (brand new), and both low pressure (in tank pumps running. Verified each one by getting under truck and listening to the tank. So in the process of checking each pump I was following a tip suggested here to disconnect the high pressure pump's wiring, so as to not run it while dry, and verify that the back pumps are not only running, but are also pumping. So I disconnected the harness to the high pressure pump, and pulled the supply line for the back tank and stuck it in a bucket to catch the fuel. When I turned the key foward to power the rear tank pump, I heard a pffft (like a fuse blowing) and there was a little bit of white smoke under the hood near the battery/starter relay.

Now I get no power to any of the fuel pumps. Car still has power everywhere else. I can crank the car and it will try to start, but obviously it wont because no fuel is being pumped. The car has power everywhere except to the pumps. Where do I look? Starter relay is fine (I assume), as I can crank the engine from the key. Does the Fuel pump relay tie into the starter relay? Would a problem with the starter relay affect power to the fuel pumps? Where is the fuel pump relay? I swear I cant find it. I checked the fuses under the dash and they are all fine. I dont know where to look.