Old 09-01-2009, 12:11 AM
cabinman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jboczar
Cabinman, cam and crank sensors can go bad. Chances are if you are getting a rpm signal then the crank is ok. A cam sensor is only about $30 if you just want to pop one in. Otherwise you can check the red and orange wires at the PCM center connector. Using a multimeter that reads hertz check across both wires while cranking, you should see around 1.3 Hz. If You are within a couple of tenths of that reading then you are ok. However, I thought in your other post that the code was related to icp sensor and/or pressure. Does your scanner read the pressure when cranking? What are you getting? PCM needs FICM Sync, Sync, ICP reading 500 psi or greater.

As for your story, all 6.0's do not come with exhaust manifold gaskets, the manifold has to have a serious crack in it to cause any kind of power issue or noise. Headgaskets can be removed and replaced without removing the manifolds or disassembling the heads. The only time I have ever installed exhaust gaskets were for exhaust smells in the cabin and those are few and far between and again they were not causing a drivability issue. Ford has no issue with ever paying a warranty claim provided the mechanic followed correct procedures in accordance with Ford warranty guidelines.

Hi, yeah I bought a cam sensor today to try it out. You are correct about one of my posts being related to a P2285 ICP sensor code but I don't know why it came up as it doesn't show up anymore, maybe from the new ( used ) FICM ? I don't think it has memory though, so I am not sure about that. The AE reader doesn't show that code anymore and I did post all the specs that it came up with. The ICP came up at 1.26volts 966 PSI at around 150 rpm. Since I have several posts going, I posted the results of that scan in detail in another post and it doesn't show the sync I need for it to start. That seems to be my issue right now. Still working my way through the harness as well to make 100% sure that's not it.

With regards to the exhaust manifold leaking story, it's not a story by the way, the reason I knew of it was because not only could I hear it clearly but you could smell it, that's why I complained about it and it was actually not cracked. Whether or not all 6.0's come with exhaust manifold gaskets is something I don't know for sure, although why some would, and some wouldn't doesn't make sense to me either, not that I don't believe you. Usually if it's not there they saved money and it works and if they change it, it's for a reason. Just like having extra bolts at the end of a job means you likely did something wrong. Typically they don't do anything for no reason due to costs. I have never seen a vehicle without gaskets between the manifold and the head but I have seen a machined surface to surface seal on my old 6.5L chev between the turbo and the exhaust but that's another story. What I am CERTAIN about is that Ford was not wanting to cover legit claims, it's not a matter of opinion. It would not make sense for a dealer to turn me away for work they could legitimately claim under warranty, that's completely obvious, they try to keep the shops full, not empty. The only reason they finally gave in was because I told them if they felt it was not an issue, I would run it to my local Department of Transport Inspection facility and have it inspected. As a professional driver we have books that specifically tell us to look for issues like this on our pre-trip. He agreed it would immediately fail, which it would, and that was the end of it, they then agreed to fix it. That's the truth as it happened to me. I have yet to see someone who knows what a car sounds like agree that a leaky hissing manifold that is both loud and annoying isn't anything to worry about. I certainly don't like the sound of it wrapping away as I drive away but I guess some people maybe don't mind. On a $65,000 truck, I expect a little more, on an old Chevy Vega, maybe not. Debatable I suppose.

PS.. For interest sake, apparently there are some differences among the dealers in Canada and the US. Every part I have seen priced out in the US is nearly half the price in the US, so nobody should expect that what's one way there is the same here ( exchange factored in ). The Cam sensor here is $58.00. ICP $220.00 Crank $80.00( ish ) I only wish I could buy every part there !

I also forgot to mention why I was suprised they could do a head without removing the manifolds. They told me when they were going to re do my engine due to the head warping issue that they would do the valves too. I don't do heads for a living but in the old days, when I did a head, we removed everything, planed them true and then re assembled ,doing a valve grind or lap, whatever was necessary and in the budget. That is why I thought it was odd they didn't remove the manifolds. Logic tells me, again unless I am wrong, they didn't do what they said they would and they did not in fact machine the heads and do the valves. Gotta remember, I am only telling you what they told me at the time, which isn't what actually got done from my estimation.