View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 01:09 AM
5.0Torx
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 9.ford.5
yes all do have strengths and weaknesses, but i said IN MY OPINION it is the best motor out there, simple easy to work on, very tough engine (7 main bearings vs. 5 in the v8s) easy to make gains on (really restricted from factory) they make their torque at half the RPMs and they are different, i know of a few built 300s that SMOKE v8s in racing so it goes to show that it can and has been done

the big rigs that to upwards of 100000 lbs have inline 6 engines for a reason, most of them are in the 550 hp range, but at the hp the engine puts out 1850 lbs-ft. of torque
this is a silly argument, but you asked for it. Best for your application? sure. You like it? absolutely.

There are plenty "simple, easy to work on" V8s. I can have the headers off of my 5.0 in like 30 minutes. Try that with your intake and smog crap all in your way.

There are also plenty of tough V8s. At least on this one you provided some factual info like 7 main bearings vs 5, but it doesnt help that the rotating assembly is heavy and not as strong as many V8s'. The Chevy LS7 has a 4.125 inch bore and a 4 inch stroke and puts out 470 lb-ft of torque and repeatedly ran to 8000 rpm in its prototype phase. Stock the redline is 7k. Jeremy Clarkson took a Z06 from a standstill to 170 mph using fifth gear and fifth gear only. Low end torque, anyone? There are plenty of guys that would bust a nut if their twin turbo, worked over 300 put out even 370 lb-ft, let alone 470. There would be non-stop smack talk on V8s. And Chevys got it all beat. STOCK. Now go ahead and throw the old vs. new argument at me if you wish, Im just using this as a point of referance. Dont even get me started on the 5.4 4v fords. Oh, mod motors, by the way, are completely internally balanced, and do not need an inbalanced flywheel like the 5.0s or 5.8s. Sound familiar?

make their torque at half the rpms? Translation: most V8s can hold their torque twice as long as the 300. Getting the load moving is great. Keeping it moving is better.

different i will give you. Its one of the reasons i like the 300. I find myself wondering if you all think im some ******* coming in here and raining on your parade, so i'd like to remind you that i do own one...

300s "SMOKING" V8s....lets see...some guy you know pumped a bunch of money into a 300 and beat a few V8s, therefor 300s are "better" than any V8. Ever. Right...lets pass the entire design and history of V8s off as inferior because someone with your favorite engine beat some dude with a V8 in a dragrace. the logic here is astounding. Dude, there are civics running 6's. You can build any motor to do anything you want, if youre stubborn enough to pump the money into it to make it do things its not designed to do.

All i want you to do is realize that theres always a bigger fish. We could go til we're blue in the face and not come to any sort of agreement. You like 300s because you like 300s. Its as simple as that, and im not here to try and talk you out of that. Just dont tell me that your #1 piston is actually jesus' left nut.