Thread: DPFE & Pinging
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2003, 11:17 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking DPFE & Pinging

OK, it's time to come clean. Here is my confession:

Saturday I replaced my Taurus' DPFE with a new one from NAPA!

So what is wrong with that, you ask? Well, I replaced it even though I was not getting any codes, my 3.0L was not pinging, and there was no obvious reason to think that the old DPFE was faulty!
WHAT, you ask? Throwing money away on new parts when nothing is wrong!!! Hey Rock, haven't you ever heard of the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Yea, I know it sounds crazy and seems to violate one of the high commandments around here ("Thou shalt spend cash on repairs only when necessary, and even then, only grudgingly") but I’ve been reading a lot about the DPFE in this forum and the Ranger Forum and I have come to realize just how important it is to the proper performance of your motor. The DPFE helps control the EGR system which is designed to, among other things, reduce the temperature of the combustion chamber. That is a good thing, especially for the vulcan engine. For example, one of the primary reasons for spark knock or "pinging" is uncontrolled combustion and one of the primary reasons for that is temperatures being too high in the combustion chamber. The EGR system directly addresses the heat problem.

So here are my reasons for going with a new DPFE:

(1) Old one looked exactly that...old. My guess is that it was the original from the factory;

(2) Original DPFE’s are notorious for failing. Ford even had a program to install new ones for free.

(3) It’s getting warmer out and I want to makes sure my vulcan is being cooled properly. Would hate to have the pings pop up on me;

(4) It’s one of the easiest parts to replace on the entire vehicle...loosen the two bolts and unplug the hoses and plug connection......reverse to install;

(5) I got it from NAPA for 50 bucks (lists there for $55 or so) which is not necessarily peanuts but not a huge hit either, considering the DPFE’s importance;

(6) I’ve read quite a few posts on several different boards claiming noticeable improvement in engine performance after changing out the DPFE;

(7) I was bored and wanted to do something good for my 3.0L motor.

So.... are you guys and gals gonna forgive me for what I did? Or am I going to be known now and forever as the guy who throws parts at his vehicles for no reason?

Last edited by Rockledge; 06-20-2003 at 12:43 PM.