View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Racecarhauler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAF Mass Air Flow Sensor Questions

OK, I've done a search on various combinations of the title of this post, I find just about everything, except info. on locating/changing the MAF!!

SO, for future searches, if one wants to know about this simple device, hopefully this post will provide all sorts of info.

My truck is definitely down on power. It starts/runs well, but when I drop the hammer...it drops something and just goes "OK"...that's about it.

I have a gameplan:

Disassemble all CAC hoses, lines, airbox/filter - basically everything to do with the intercooler up to the turbo. This will allow me to inspect the CAC hoses and get a good look at the wiring/harness connectors to the FICM, etc.

I will be looking for chafing and oil leaks from the ICP (as I have had TWO replaced under warranty) and anything else suspect.

I originally thought I had fuel pump/HFCM issues, but I purchased a new unit and replaced - no fix...my fault for not troubleshooting thoroughly.

SO, now that I'm out $300 on an "Easter Egg" hunt (replacing parts, basically throwing $$$$$$$ at the problem) - I'm looking for more information on the accessories/components I'll be inspecting.

First line of questions is WHERE is the MAF?? Is it in the typical position just after the air cleaner, where there's a harness connector?? Do we have a MAF unit or just the sensor that's replaced? Is there a good (and economical) source to get one?

I am going to purchase some MAF sensor spray cleaner tonight...as I've heard from various members that cleaning the sensor/MAF has solved some issues.

I am going to go through the VGT "relearn" procedure as I basically did this last week but did a simple disconnect of the batteries and didn't really follow a procedure after that...I didn't return the truck back to stock (have an SCT Livewire tuner), etc. I've printed the one out from this site so I'll follow it to a "T" this time.

I hope to find the source of my "down on power" issue this week, it's been almost if not at 100deg. the last two days so I'm not all that excited about standing on a stepstool and farting around with this truck...but I will definitely look into my issues over the next few days.

ANY help/advice/suggestions on what else I should look for or what I should consider replacing would be great. I have read posts, followed links and just pretty much edumakated myself for HOURS via this site - I've utilized and pretty much exhausted the search function. Sorry if this post IS a repetitive one but I'm attempting to get a dedicated MAF post started.

Thanks!