View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 03:58 AM
brcrk
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaosracing
First off.....find a better shop than Macco. Second if you want to sand and prep its not that hard. As for removing the stripe and lettering, do not sand it off. Try using a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the adhesive up (be careful not to over heat the area and damage the paint or warp the steel) and peel them off. The use laquer thinner or a 3M adhesive eraser in a drill to remove residual adhesive. Now if its just the clear coat coming off, then on the areas where its coming off, just use 400 grit paper. If you do go thru to bare metal, then yes a good spray bomb primer is good to use. Just sand with 400 again. For the rest of the panel I would use 1000 grit.

Now here is a big suggestion. If it were me, I would only remove the stripe, leave the 4x4 on. Heres why. A good shop can repaint and blend in the areas that need repainting with black. Then they can reclear down to the stripe location. Once the stripe is back on, and the shop did the paint correctly, no one will know what has been done. Same goes for the door.

Unless you are looking at repainting the whole truck, then just use 400 grit on everything.
Well actually I was going to paint the whole truck and was thinking of taking all stripes, lettering, decals and molding off.

And as far as Maico, I have had good success from my local on on an S10 drag truck...I realize they get a bad wrap but I carried that truck up there just wanting some color on it and was surprised by the paint job that came back....and for only $400

The reason I was repainting the whole truck is over the years I have had the front clip and the tailgate repainted due to hunting and farm accidents...so those areas are a little more fresh than the rest...so I thought I would just go ahead and redoe the whole thing before I retire the truck, rebuild the motor, put my lift kit back on it..etc

I am in the process of buying a 2002 F250 crew diesel 4x and gonna give the good ole truck the rest she deserves

So...go over those spots with 400 then over the rest with 1000. Wet or Dry?