View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 09:55 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
We have a "waste spark" ignition system on our Rangers & it works the plugs & wires Twice as hard as the old single coil & distributor ignition system.

So we need plugs & wires that are designed to take that extra work load & are of the proper resistance & capacitance range, so their load matches up with the coilpack, so as not to detune the ignition systems spark & to keep EMI/RFI in check, so it doesn't disturb the computer.

The specified Motorcraft fine wire double platinum plugs & ignition wires are of high quality & designed for the exta work load our ignition system puts them through, so they are highly recommended & what I've chosen to stay with on my 94 Taurus & 99 Ranger & the Motorcraft products are cost competitive when I purchase them at my local Motorcraft distibutor.

Others have reported good luck with Autolite plugs & it has been reported that Autolite makes the Motorcraft plugs to Fords specifications.

Others have reported problems with the Bosch multi ground plugs on our Ranger engines, though I've used Bosch single platinum plugs in my 94 Taurus 3.8L distributor ignition system without any problems & they outlasted the OEM copper core Motorcraft plugs 2-1 & without spark gap erosion, BUT this was on a conventional ignition system, not the waste spark ignition system our Rangers have.

However on my recent refurbish of the 94 Taurus system, I chose all OEM Motorcraft parts, BUT upgraded the plugs to Motorcraft platinum.

So on your system, why not consider staying with what it was designed for, as the Motorcraft products are of high quality, don't cost too much, work real good & last a looooong time!!!! lol