View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 10:58 PM
ford141
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, I just went with the recommended springs that Lunati specs for the cam. It is best to match the springs with the cam, although for a Performer plus cam, you really don't have too, unless the stock springs have a ton of miles on them. If the stock springs are good, you should have no problem at all with them.

The performer grind is VERY mild, only a very small step over stock. You will also want to replace the timing chain at the same time, but get a timing chain for a '68-71 460. These will set the cam "straight up" at 0 degrees, which is where the cam is meant to run. The 72 and later carburated 460s have an 8* retarded timing chain setup for emissions reasons. You will get a pretty decent low-midrange power boost even with the stock cam with a simple pre-72 timing chain swap.

As far as the Lunati, I absolutely love it. It is completely drivable, idles dead smooth, and will light the tires from any speed in 1st. Low to midrange torque is awesome. I would recommend this cam to anyone building a truck motor for everyday driving/hauling/towing. It works very well.

As far as wear patterns on the rocker fulcrum, I did not have that problem, but my motor only has 50K on it total. Even though the motor had never been touched before I got it, it still had the crosshatches on the cylinder walls. It is very tight with little wear. Maybe a higher-mileage motor will have issues, but mine didn't.