View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 07:33 PM
luthrobediesel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1.1 L Ford Industrial Engine

Im working on a Jacobsen lawn mower with a ford industrial engine. Its a 4 cylinder 1.1 L carburated engine from the late 70s to early 80s. Its from a family of engines called Kent engines. A 1.6 L edition was used in the Fiesta. The only difference is the crank throw. I found parts for it by looking it up under fiesta. I put new rod and main bearings, piston rings, and had head redone. It runs great except for a couple of problems. When you ease into the hydro feed peddle, the rps decrease and when the governor tries to rev it up, it bogs down and stalls. When I try to increase the throttle too suddenly, it stalls. Im getting a timing light tomorrow an hook it up. Any idea what the base timing is? Im guessing the vacuum advance is whacked. Its been sitting for 7 years in a shop in peices because nobody could find parts. Not even jacobsen. It also overheats but I think the thermostat is stuck so tomorrow im gonna knock the guts out of it and put it back in to still slow the flow down enough to absorb the heat. Also, the governor is run off the crank pulley on the front and is mechanical. It looks like it has a place to put oil in it, im wondering if it needs some or even how to fill it properly. If anybody knows these engines, I would appreciate some input.