View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 11:16 AM
lsrx101
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
they told her she needed AC compressor,accumulator/dryer, condenser, manifold charge/discharge block, orifice tube.They also said flush the system as well.

It sounds like the compressor grenaded. If so, most of those parts are correct.

The accumulator and orifice tube are standard for a major AC repair. They're considered wear items. Don't uncap the accumulator until just before it's installed. Install it last and evacuate the system as soon as possible after.

If the compressor had a major failure, it will fill the condenser with debris. Those condensers can't be reliably flushed due to the internal design.

Did they specify what was wrong with the compressor manifold? That one has me a bit .puzzled. If it has a muffler (metal can) on it then it can't be flushed and that's why they said to replace it.

The accumulator will be dry, no oil. The amount of oil in a new compressor can vary widely. I always drain them completely and add the recommended amount of fresh oil back to the system.

You can flush the evaporator in place. Flush it in both directions and blow it dry in both directions. Your small compressor can do the job but will drain quickly. You may have to stop and let it catch up a few times. Use a rapidly evaporating AC solvent for this. Dura-141 is a good one. The flush sold at many chain stores is a real bear to get removed, even with a good supply of air.

Where do you plan to get the compressor? I would advise you to stay away from Murray/Four Seasons brand from Auto Zone and some other chains. Cheap reman compressors have a high rate of failure after a while. Spend the extra money for a quality reman compressor.

Hope this helps.