View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 06:56 AM
Texasboo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 Ford F150 4x4 4.6 liter 281 engine

I am new here, I have NEVER DONE AC WORK EVER...so bare with me please....and am going to help a friend out by doing the labor so she can afford to repair her AC in her truck. It's been triple digits for heat here in Texas.
Ok, she took it to a repair shop to have it looked at, they told her she needed AC compressor,accumulator/dryer, condenser, manifold charge/discharge block, orifice tube.They also said flush the system as well. I looked at the truck today myself, the clutch on the compressor will not engage when the AC is turned on low or max.
Does this sound logical for this year model to have so much needed work for AC?
If so, how can I be sure of the diagnosis without spending tons of money elsewhere that this is the real and only issues?
Secondly, if I just go ahead and replace the condenser, accumulator/dryer, orifice tube, manifold charge/discharge block, but NOT the evaporator, can I flush the evaporator after I remove the original accumulator before I put the new one on?
If that is what I need to do, how do I do it without removing the evaporator?
Do I get a solvent and pour it directly into the line? If so, which line..top or bottom? and using a home air compressor, will that be strong enough to blow it all out? What about the issue of it pooling in the bottom of the evaporator? how can I be sure it's all out?
Next, the new accumulator/dryer may have some oil already in it, should I pour that out and refill it and with how much total including the oil that is in the new compressor? Otherwords, if the compressor comes pre-filled with 7 oz of oil, and the new accumulator says it's pre-filled with say 4oz of oil, is that the correct amount total for the system already coming pre-filled?Or do I need less or more?
Also is it a good idea since replacing with lots of new ac components to put in a filter on the liquid line as mentioned in some posts I have read? If so , what line is the liquid line and which way does the flow toward??( so I know how to install the new inline filter).
Sorry so many questions, I am just a novice in the AC area.
Also, once I get everything hooked up and vacummed down, and no leaks, how much R134a should I use? Approx how many cans to use?
And what are the guages supposed to read on the low and high side of a manifold gauge set ??? (going to rent a set to use to re-fill system myself)
What is normal for low and normal for high readings?
I appreciate any assistance with this, I'll be getting this done in next couple weeks I think.
Thanks,
Bren