Thread: No A/C at idle?
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 09:18 AM
trpltongue
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No A/C at idle?

Hey all,

I had a quick question for everyone. My 07 expy has been great for the first 25k miles, but as of about a month ago it started acting strange at idle.

The first thing is that I usually pre-cool the car as it is pretty hot here in Houston and I like to get the car cool before putting the kids in their seats. I do this by starting the car and setting the A/C to auto with a temp in the 70ish range. This has always worked in the past and after 5 minutes or so the car is comfortable. However, in the recent month or so it doesn't cool at all. In fact, it just blows humid hot air. Once I hit the highway I can hear the fan whirring way up and the truck cools off and runs normal, but if I sit at idle for a minute or 2 it starts blowing hot humid air again?

The second thing (and I think it's related) is that every minute or so at idle, with the car in "Drive", the vehicle lurches and the idle drops real low for a second. The first time it happened, I thought I was rear-ended. Interestingly, when this "lurch" happens, the A/C begins to blow cold for a few seconds before returning to hot and humid.

This can't be normal right? I've got a 97 expy as well and a TransAm and both cool just fine at idle right now.

Has this happened to anyone else before? If so, what was the culprit?

I'm going to take it to the dealer in the next day or 2, but would like to give them an idea as to what to look for.

Thanks!

Russell