View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 12:34 AM
HankMurphy
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I purchased two vehicles with X-plan PINs last year. Let me elaborate on a couple of points.

First, if you buy through a brokerage account, it will be mmore than a few days, and certainly more than $20 with commissions. (Depends upon your brokerage and account terms, of course.

If you buy through the Computershare direct purchase program, link here:

https://www-us.computershare.com/inv...layPlanSummary

The minimum purchase is $500 at present. IIRC it was less in the past. This will be a dividend reinvestment plan (DRIP) whenever Ford starts paying a dividend again.

Bear in mind that these are investments -- not costs. You could sell your Ford stock after buying the truck and basically only be out the commissions. Commissions are very low in the direct purchase plan.

As far as the lowest price, I think that the Employee pricing program wound up being very slightly below the X-plan price. Except for that aberration, X-plan gives the best generally available discount. You can save your haggling skills for the trade in.

Finally, the car buying advice forum elsewhere in FTE is a good place to link up with someone who can provide you an X-plan PIN if you don't or can't make an investment in Ford stock at this time. (I bought several hundred shares in February, and it's been a stellar performer. As always, you should ask for and read the prospectus before investing in any company.)

Good luck and happy shopping,