View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 07:59 PM
RFD_Truckie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Testing a relay???

I am having a trailer lights problem that I have finally narrowed down. I did have a thread up, and had received lots of help, which is what got me to this point (Thanks agian).

Recap: No trailer turns/brakes, fuse good, trailer lights/wiring good.

So I have it narrowed down to the relays. The only wire that gets any power is the truck light wire (Which I am assuming is the control switch). None of the other wires are getting power. I was under the impression that the relay had constant power going to it and when the "switch" was activated, it in turn activated the relay. I was going to test the relay and quickly realized that I have no clue how to do it. The relay clicks, but I am assuming that does not nessecarily mean its a good relay. I had replaced with other relays at one time with no change, but am still stumped.

I have triple / quadruple checked the fuse and even replaced with a known good one. I checked continuity in the wire from firewall to rear of truck and all of that is good. Its somewhere between where my harness plugs in on the L front fender well to the battery.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks