View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 05:09 PM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 70blue
Who has a veggie garden and what have you got planted? Hows it coming along?

I have close to 1/4 acre planted. I have okra, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, yellow corn, white corn, onions, watermelons, cucumbers, pumpkins, cantaloupe, jalapeno, cayenne, green bell. bush type snap beans, peas, cilantro, yellow squash, zucchini plus my usual cooking spices I grow.

The corn is tassling. I did lose about 2 dozen stalks of yellow corn to one of my goats. The sqaush is getting loaded I will be picking my first 50-75 squash within a week. The bush beans have some little beans starting on them so I expect to start harvesting them soon. 9 of my tomato plants are big enough that I finally quit pinching the blooms off, the other 11 need to grow some more before I let them produce. I can't wait for them fried green tomatoes. I will not get a good crop of cucumbers because only 2 came up out of a whole row I planted. I can trade with the neighbor because he will have plenty of cucumbers. Most everything else needs more maturing before they get close to producing.
30' X60' roughly. I too have okra, plus red potatoes, tomatoes, sweet corn, cucumbers, 2 types peppers, bush beans, lima beans, garden squash, parsnips, rutabagas, turnips, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce, swiss chard. Most of the stuff is up, except the potatoes and carrots. You all down south get a jump start on us yankees. Planting just started last week of may.

I don’t carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.