View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 05:15 PM
DIYiT
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The CEL is always on. When we first scanned for codes we got 3 or 4 different ones. Two of them were solved by the new MAF, one we never identified, and the last had a TSB from Ford stating that that specific code did not mean there was an error; rather it was a problem in the ECU programming and would need a Ford reflash.

Next time I have the chance, I'll take the car back up to my buddy at MSU to put it on the college's reader. I'll see what codes are thrown other than the Ford ECU one.

Before all the work the car was running fairly well. She said there was a intermittent starting problem and a squealing noise every once in a while the latter of which we discovered was just moisture after line driving snow storms. The only real issue that clued us into a bad MAF were the two codes combined with sub 20 mpg (on the best of days). After our work on the car, it's been pushing the 30 mark, and everything else is running superbly. New struts and springs all around, alignment, and new brakes means it handles well, and the new MAF, wires, plugs, and air filter (the MAF was fouled because the air filter was too big for the air box creating leaks for dust to enter the intake after the filter) makes for a much "peppier" and stronger driving car along with better overall economy. Like I said, once it's running, it shows no signs at all that there's any problem. Usually it will also start fine once the car has idled for a few minutes, although this theory doesn't always hold true.