Old 05-23-2009, 12:13 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LaredoF350
Darn, this tire shopping is tough!!!

I looked at lots today - Toyo Open Country MT and AT, Procomp Xtreme AT, Cooper STT, BFG AT and MT, Kelly, Nitto, Hancook, Kumho

The tire I want is somewhere between an AT and a MT. The Procomp AT's have a blocky tread design that makes them look very meaty for an AT, most other AT's dont look aggressive enough for my tastes. That being said, I am not going to fool myself and will acknowledge that most MT's are too blocky to run quiet and deliver the wear I expect. The Toyo MT sounds like the one exception to this as its maybe not quite as much of a mud tire as the others?

I feel the two tires mentioned both are in the gap between the two 'traditional' categories of AT and MT, one from either end of the spectrum!
Am I correct in my thinking?
The Xtreme A/T definately fits the bill of a "hybird" type M/T A/T tire. I ran a set for 60K and could not of been happier.

Another possibility for a aggressive A/T would be Mickey Thompson ATZ in the 305/70R18 size which is equivilant to a 35X12.50R18. Dick Cepek F-C II in 305/70R18 is also a fairly agressive A/T.

FYI... Pro Comp, Mickey Thompson and Dick Cepek are all brands of Cooper Tire...