View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 05:45 AM
BChance
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jay... good to see you!

I would definitely do a fluid and filter change asap.. also check for an in line filter.. I know some had them, I don't remember which, or if all did. If it helps, do it again in about 3000 miles, then every 10k or so as long as it lasts...Also consider adding a half bottle or so of that Lucas tranny stuff if it is still harsh, but by all means, filter and fluid change.. NOT A FLUSH....

What happens is the tranny computer pegs the pump pressure to compensate for wear and slippage..thus the harsh shifts..and why AAMCO said what they did....in my experience, sometimes a fluid change with a new filter will usually help out since the fresh fluid is better than old varnishy burnt fluid for avoiding slippage. Emphasis on usually.

I will say, if that is the case, its days are getting numbered.. but on the other hand I have seen simple fluid changes keep them happy enough to run for thousands of miles after they get harsh. Luck of the draw....

On the other other hand, mine went belly up.... fast... and had to be replaced. Sometimes you win one, sometimes not so much...I had about 8000 lbs behind it when it went....FWIW, if you DO need a rebuild, Kellys always treated me good when I was in Alb....and I have never had a referral to them come back unhappy.