Old 05-08-2009, 07:31 PM
HankMurphy
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Hard Cover Pro And Con

I've had four F-150s now with a total of about 480,000 miles on them; two eight-foot and two 6-1/2 foot beds; three regular cabs and one SuperCab.

In that time I've had two camper shells and one hard tonneau cover (which is on the current truck); no soft tonneaus.

My observations are that a tonneau cover is great for keeping stuff out of the rain. I also conceals tools and stuff which are otherwise a temptation to some passers-by. I have lost tools and material out of open beds in "safe" neighborhoods, including stuff for which I can't imagine anyone needing to steal it. So, from a security standpoint, they are great IMHO.

By comparison, camper shell windows still left things visible. And they have a bad impact on driver visibility. I know that's off topic, just an observation.

The negatives of removing and storing a hard tonneau cover are definitely real. I would suggest you ask yourself the following questions:

1. Do I have somewhere to safely put a hard tonneau cover when I have to haul something large and bulky?

2. Can I rig up a pulley and cable arrangement to lift it up out of the way in the garage or carport when it is not on the truck?

3. Just how often do I really need to haul something which sticks above the level of the truck bed? And which needs the full length of the bed, rather than only a short section? (I've gotten away with hauling stuff with the hard tonneau open. I wouldn't recommend it for long trips without tieing it down. And be sure that there are no loose papers in the bed which will blow out. DAMHIK.)

4. Finally...how often will I be able to avoid someone volunteering me for a hauling job I'd rather avoid because I have a tonneau cover on the back of the truck and I can't take it off?

When I was building a room on the side of my house, a hard cover would have been a nuisance. In my present circumstances, I can't imagine needing to take it off more than once per year. Your circumstances will certainly vary.

The hard tonneau covers do look much better than any other truck bed cover IMHO.

Good luck,