Old 05-06-2009, 10:34 PM
marco2379
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As part of that resolution I forgot to mention that because of the location of the wiring in close proximity to the engine and exhaust, I shielded the portion of the wires that would be near the exhaust manifold and engine with the fire proof sheathing that came from my old EGR tube (I'm glad I didn't throw it out) and held it in place with ordinary hose clamps. This is just to prevent the same problem from reoccuring. There was some heat protection on the that section of the wiring tube but it had given out.

If you don't have such a sheathing, find something heat resistant/fireproof to protect the wiring. You'll also have to disconnect the 5 connections above and around the transmission. The connections go to the Solenoid block, shift selector, exhaust sensor, and 2 more at the end of the tranny, don't know what they're called. Be sure to tie a string around the 2 connections as the end of the tranny to make it easier to feed/pull the wire back into place after any repairs have been made.

Tips:
Remove the passenger side heat shield (the hardest part of the job) to allow for access.
Remove front passenger side wheel to allow some access through the wheel well.
Pull/Feed the wiring back into the engine compartment, but don't force anything.
While you have have electrical connections exposed, inspect and clean any corrosion.