View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Tom D
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok a couple of things to check:
1. Is the boiling chamber well sealed. If there is a leak the vapor will follow the path of least resistance.

2. Does the condensor slant down at a 45 degree (at least) angle if not you can get a fluid lock

BTW Have you been able to recover any residual Methanol from your BD with your set up and it is only the recovery from Glycerol causing problems or you get no condensate no matter what the feed stock.

I must have had a senior moment during my last post. SORRY !!!

Here is the URL (for real this time)
Condenser (laboratory) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/quote]

Yes. Chamber is sealed good. To be sure, I will pressurize and double check for leaks.
The condensor is mounted vertically. I will change that.
At best, I have only recovered approx 3-4 oz from a 40 gal batch. I don't collect anything from the glycerol. One thing I was concerned about, after I drain the glycerol off the bottom of the separator tank into 5 gal pails that I seal, I heat the BD in the 55 gal separator drum BUT I open the vent at the top for 2 reasons 1. I'm afraid of building too much pressure while heating to 180F. 2. I drop a temp probe down the 3/4 pipe through the vent valve to monitor the temp. Do you think I am losing too much vapor? I don't know a better way to do it. Later I heat the glycerol in another drum and run that through the vaporizer and condensor. Maybe I am losing the methanol when I pour from the 5 gal pails to the drum.
By the way, are you familiar with Don's vaporizer? I will not discuss it on the Forum unless he approves it.