Old 05-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Redcat Diesel
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by liftnw8z

Clay - what's your secret for cutting down tires...my neighbor's got about 8 scrap tires sitting in my back yard (the houses are close here) and I'm sure he could use your advice...lol.

Bill, if they're steel belted radials I loose them 1 or 2 at a time in various dumpsters. I keep a mental list of dumpsters that meet 2 criteria. They are located in area without security cameras and they lifted by a front loading trash truck. I don't throw them in rolloff boxes because most drivers are taught to throw out any tires they find. Front loader drivers don't bother to look. For bias ply tires I cut the beads in a couple of places with a slicer blade on a grinder then I cut the rest up with a utility knife.

I learned how to cut them up when I was a kid. My dad had a coal furnace in the garage. He would burn just about anything that would fit thru the door and ignite. Chunks of tire, hoses, upholstery, oil cans, floor mats, rugs, just about anything. To dispose of leftover paint we would wait until the furnace was cold for a day or two. We would set open cans inside then build a fire on top.