View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 10:17 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ernesteugene

When it comes to comparing the "effective" surface area of air filters "looks" can be somewhat "deceiving"! For example below is a picture of a stock 7.3L air filter and according to the advertisement I "stole" this picture from its dimensions are 7.3"x13.4" and it has pleats 3.3" deep.

The stock filter appears to have a surface area of only (7.3)(13.4)=98 in^2 but as you can see from the picture air flows into the pleat openings at the top and then down into the deep "V" shaped pleats and out their sides. This greatly increases the overall effective filtering area.

I hope someone will take the time to count the number of pleats and post the results here or send me a PM because I want to calculate its effective filtering area so I can compare it to the effective filtering area a 6637 which because of its dead en cylindrical shape only uses about 40% of its actual area at any given time.

Good to hear from you again Gene. Now to the matter at hand. Who cares what the effective filtering area is in the first 1/4th or 1/2 is as long as they suck through the same sized hole known as an intake? Are you saying the total flow capacity of the stocker is better than the 6637? I think we would need to calculate the total flow of both, though we already know the max flow/cfm of the 6637, I will await the #s of the stock panel filter. I would have to postulate that the panel's area would be smaller just from looks alone. Just wrap it around into a circle and see how small it is then.

Please continue the Bee thread.