Old 04-22-2009, 06:51 PM
jnobles06
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcaddi2
Replacing the HPOP is not an easy, but not a real hard job either. If you are comfortable with wrenches - and I'm sure you are, and if you are not afraid to run into difficult situations under the hood, you will enjoy it.
I do not have a step by step instructions, and since I worked over 12 hours today, I would like to skip write one, and I'm just going to point out those steps whats necessary for it.

Even though it doesnt seem to be in your way, to remove the de-gas bottle is one of the first steps - after the battery cables of coarse. Also remove the air filter, intake pipes and the driver side battery tray, because removing the CAC tubes make the job way easier. After that you can easily remove the FICM, and make yourself room to get to the turbocharger and the Y pipe clamps behind it. Since the HPOP located under it, you have to pull the turbo too, and it could be a tight pop out. 3 bolts holding it, the driver side one is "hidden" from the back side.
To make it a little easier, I'd remove the oil filter housing before, 4 star bolts holding it. Your intake manifold has a loop on the back - under the turbo mount, and it makes the HPOP not accessible with it in place, so you have to pull the intake manifold. It takes technically removing everything what mounted on it. Pull your alternator - since it mounted on the intake manifold, and at least remove the fuel lines from the upper fuel filter. Now you do have a lot of room to get your turbo out. Disconnect the wiring from the injectors, sensors on top of engine and the ICP, IPR and just put it aside. I believe now you are at the point to remove the intake manifold bolts, and pull the manifold. YOU DO PULL THE INTAKE MANIFOLD WITH THE EGR COOLER. that's the easiest way, just take off the clamp at the up pipe at the back of the cooler, and just slide the short orange or blue hose on the EGR cooler pipe. Getting to the turbo mount bolts is a little hard, but doable. In the worst case ,if I good remember, you can remove the intake manifold bolts, lift and turn the intake manifold some to get to the mount bolts.
Now you are at the HPOP cover, from here it's no surprises. If you've got this far, I'm sure putting it back together will be easy.
Watch out for fuel lines - attached to the manifold on the front.
For the head studs, you have to dig a little deeper. If you do it for the first time on a 6.0, removing the heads will be a little time consuming. If you are interested, I could give you a couple of advice.

im pretty sure my headgaskest are good. i have heard that you can do the headstuds one at a time so you dont have to remove the heads. oh and thanks for the info.