View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 05:42 AM
vze2sgxa
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Xfordowner
I just received a quote from the Ford dealer to replace the plugs in my 2004, F150 5.4. The quote was $394.00 plus 2 hours for each plug that breaks during removal. Total around $2,000.00 to replace 8 spark plugs.

I chose to take it to a reliable mechanic that does other work for me and his quote was about 100 dollars cheaper than the 394. The first 2 plugs that he removed the bottom broke in the head. To remove the broken end is very difficult and the back 2 cylinders are not possible with the tools available from Snap-On. He stopped and called me and I told him not to proceed. He said the only way he could remove the back 2 if they did not come out in 1 piece is to remove the heads @ 20 hours.

How can Ford with the best selling truck in America design a vehicle that costs over $2,000.00 dollar to replace the spark plugs?

Now you understand my name, Jim Xfordowner. I'm going to trade this great truck, untill now, for a Toyota.
How many miles are on your truck? Is this the first time changing your plugs? Why are these mechanics almost guaranteeing you that the plugs will break off in the head? Sounds like a set up to me.