View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Mercury45
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EricPero
So if I grab the spindle and try to move it up/down/left/right, and it does move, then the knuckle seal is bad? If so, is this the correct part I need?

Pinion Seal - Front Axle

<table width="570" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td width="100%"><table><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="80" align="right">Part: </td><td valign="top" align="left">NOS 15503 </td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="80" align="right">Product Line: </td><td valign="top" align="left">NAPA Oil Seals </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" align="middle"><table border="0"><tbody><tr><td style="white-space: nowrap;" align="right">Price
Unit

</td><td>:
:

</td><td style="white-space: nowrap;" align="right">26.49
Each

</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

no... to properly tell if the knuckle seal is bad... rip the hub off as you said you did already, grab the stub shaft with a rag - use my pdf for ball joints and yank on the axle shaft... you can pry the u joint to help you get it out - its got a good seal in the diff so the first time is tough.

The part you showed is a pinion seal... this goes between the pinion gear and the front driveshaft of the front differential... totally different.

here is the tool.... Lisle LIS38060 AXLE SEAL INSTALLER FORD F SERIES TRUCKS

here is where the knuckle seal (sometimes called a main seal or main axle seal) goes

http://quad4x4.com/images/front%20ax...arts%20054.jpg

pull the axle shaft out... the knuckle seal goes on the stub shaft (short axle) and the dust seal goes on the axle shaft - longer axle.

i had to get my seals at ford... but i recall somebody finding them online somewhere

they are 80 bux from ford

they are called main seal or knuckle seal NOT PINION SEAL

just making sure you know

kenny