Old 04-05-2009, 07:56 PM
SBrown732
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing & Stall Problem: 1977 F-100, 302 Engine

I have a 1977 F-100 with a 302 engine and an Edelbrock 500 CFM carburetor. I have an intermittent issue with the engine missing and at times stalling. This usually occurs under a load like climbing a hill or heavy acceleration. My wife was driving behind me when it happened the last time and noticed that black smoke came out of both exhaust pipes when the problem occurred. The times that it has stalled, the truck will usually restart after a few minutes but not right away. Oddly, I have found that when it begins to miss and lose power, I can shift into neutral and the engine will recover.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
The last time I had a stall, I checked the fuel line. I have a clear fuel filter with to debris and solid fuel. Fuel is also jetting into the carb when I press the accelerator.<o></o>
<o></o>
I pulled the ignition module and took it to O'Riley's Auto Parts. They tested it 4 times and it passed each time. The unit did not even get warm.<o></o>
<o></o>
Plugs, wires, cap and rotor are less than 2 years old and have less than 1,000 miles on them. <o></o>
<o></o>
Any thoughts on what could be causing this problem?<o></o>