View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 12:32 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 07EXPYEL
I've got about 27K miles and had a flat last week, so I'm riding on the spare. My current tires are the 18" Pirellis which seem to be the second least puncture reistant tires, contenentils being #1.

My 4X4 EL is anything but a light weight vehicle, especially when I'm towing my 31' travel trailer (weighing in at 13,000 CGVW). The stock tires were "P" tires, or "Passenger car Tires", which from what I understand might be a bit underrated for this vehicle, not to mention they are more likely to puncture.

My question is, is it worthwhile to upgrade to a "LT" or light truck tire? I know the cost a bit more, the ride might be a bit rougher and noiser, but I'm really sick of flat tires! I don't off road much, but when I'm on dirt roads, I would like to have some puncture resistance from rocks, branches, etc..

I'd like to hear what other's opinions are and if there's an alternate size to the P255/70/R18's that came stock and are kind of an odd size.
I would stick with the same size. There are plenty of choices in that size. Look at the Goodyear Fortera Silent Armor or Yokohama Geolander both good tires. The Scorpions are a cheaper tire IMO.