View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 07:53 PM
1966Tbird
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what is your budget? if your putting on a blower probably pretty high

i would get a new set of h-beam rods for that power level, 450hp is when i suggest h-beams in smallblocks i build. i would get the trick flow twisted wedge heads (best bang for buck) (get the bigger version with the bigger runners) do a little porting on them yourself not much but just basically smooth everything out and match it to your intake and headers i would ditch the fuel injection and go with a carb probably a 750-800cfm hollley vac secondary if it's a automatic and mechanical secondary if it's a manual tranny
i would use an edelbrock rpm airgap intake or a victor intake

get your compression up to around 10.5:1 you can run pump gas with that compression and aluminum heads but it's right on the edge run 10:1 if you want to be on the safe side. get some good headers like 7/8ths primaries and 3in collectors

i would say this combo is good for around 400-450hp naturally aspirated without running it on desktop dyno

if you get a blower are you going to get a roots blower like an 8-71 and pop it out of your hood with duel quads? that would be nasty

but if you get a blowthrough carb and run a novi on the same set up with 8-12lbs of boost you should make enough power to make you happy
now if you are running boost keep your compression at like 8-9:1 compression depending on how much boost you have and i would use an 850cfm blowthrough carb with boost, definatly use cometics head gaskets if you are going to run more than like 5lbs of boost

by the way my buddy just dyno'd his mustang with a motor i helped put together and it made 909hp to the wheels....... he has a 347 with a fmpp "R" block forged internals victor jr. heads ported by some dude in texas victor manifold with twin turbonetics turbos i forget how big but they are perfect for the engine he had some bigger ones on it and he had trouble getting them to spool. i think he has 28lbs of boost and methenol injection......all in a foxbody mustang....it's his street car by the way