View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 10:32 AM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhc43
After almost 25,000 miles it's time to replace brake pads. I'm getting the dreaded squeal when slowing down from around 5 mph to a stop. From recommendations I'm leaning towards the Wagner Thermoquiet pads. I do tow a 7K - 7.5K Travel Trailer occasionally.

I'm definitely no mechanic but I do consider myself to be fairly well mechanically inclined. I'm wondering how big of a task it is to change the pads myself and if fairly simple if there would be any special tools I might need?

Thanks!
I only have 30K on my 07 expeditiion and had the same problem. The brakes were squeling anytime I went to slow down or stop. I went to get my vehicle inspected and they guy told me that I needed new brakes before they would inspect.....talked to owner of shop, they went ahead with the inspection without brakes....told him i would let him do the brake job, but they were too high. Had to shops tell me I needed new rotors and pads, rotors were worn too much to turn. Both shops wanted way too much for the parts....bought slotted rotors from RotorPros and got Posi-Quiet Extra Duty pads all for $320 shipped to my door. Quality is better than oem and my truck has less dust, stops quicker, and is quiet, dont even hear the brakes anymore thankfully. Had a shop put everything on for $150, total cost to me $470 parts and labor. Awesome deal for 4 rotors and pads all the way around. Plus changed brake fluid out to full synthetic. Can't be happier. The rotors are zinc dipped and no longer show rust at all. I have driven about 800 miles with the new setup. Rotorpros uses Centric Rotors and Centric now owns Powerslot, Posi-Quiet and a few other companies. One thing to note, the front pads were only worn 50% but were glazed over which was causing the squelling, the rears were almost worn down to the censors.