View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 01:09 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lonestaraggie
Howdy all,
A quick question for you all. I have a 52 F-1 with the 215 OHV 6 cyl. It's been converted to a 12 volt system and it's wired for a negative ground. I've been looking into buying a stock radio for it but I keep finding ones that are set up for a positive ground.
Is my truck wired incorrectly? Should I have a positive ground on her? Is there a way to convert a positive ground radio to a negative ground without destroying it? I'm really confused because all of my gauges and accessories work flawlessly as is with the negative ground.
Thanks,
AJ
The answer is yes it can be converted. It's a simple matter of rewiring in the power supply and changing the vibrator to a 12 Volt unit. Some series resistance needs to be added to the power transformer's primary winding and the the tubes need to be changed to ones with 12 volt filements or wired in series pairs if there is an equal number of them. I usually eliminate the HV rectifier tube and replace it with a diode of higher current and voltage rating. That just makes one less tube filement to draw down your battery. You will not need to isolate the radio or antenna if you do this conversion. Occasionally I do these conversions but it usually amounts to fifty bucks in parts and one hundred bucks for labor. In the long run youn might just be better off getting one of the 12 V. repros which also has the FM stereo. Isolating everything usually ends up in disater with a fire. For one thing all the buttons and ***** are hot in respect to ground. Isolating the antenna shield also greatly effects the reception and sometimes eliminates it. Hope this helps.

Later man...