Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 PM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phydeaux88
In saturated hydrocarbons each carbon atom is bonded to 4 other atoms, usually 2 other carbons and 2 hydrogen unless they're carbons at the end of the chain then they are bonded to 1 carbon and 3 hydrogens. Each bond is made up of a pair of electrons which the two atoms share.

In an unsaturated hydrocarbon at least on pair of carbon atoms share a double bond (an extra pair of electrons involved). In that case the carbons involved will each give up one of the usual hydrogens. Double bonds are more unstable than single single bonds and are the sites at which oxidation and polymerization occur, thus they are undesirable to a certain extent; however, they also have some beneficial qualities in that they tend to lower the cloud point of BD. As you can see it is a mixed bag of benefits some good some bad.

Hydrogenation is the process by which unsaturated hydrocarbon molecules may be converted to saturated, or fully hydrogenated, molecules.

All in all there is no reason to not use saturated or hydrogenated VO to make BD. It will be less likely to deteriorate thus will have a longer storage life but it will have a higher cloud point and will need precautions in cold weather.
WOW! My memory is better than I thought! I pretty much had it right! I'm not much of a chemist - only took 2 semesters of it in college 10-12 years ago - plus I only read one article on hydrogenation and saturated vs unsaturated fats! HOORAY FOR ME! Maybe my memory isn't slippin' as bad as I sometimes feel like it is

Thanks for filling in some of the finer points and details Phy. I can always count on you to help bring chemistry back down to a level that us non-chemists can get our heads around.