Old 02-21-2009, 04:48 PM
westtntrucker
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this post is a month old, but....
I'm not an owner operator, but i have been driving for 22 years. It has been a good career. I have raised a family, own my own home, All of my vehicles are paid for.
Its what you make of it will depend on your success as a "Driver". I'm not going to give you the usual spiel about not doing it. If it is what you want to do, then do it and to heck with everyone else.
But what i will give you a speech about is Temperament! If you get pi$$ed off easily, you will not make it. You have to have an easy going attitude. Be able to roll with the punches, whatever metaphor you wish to choose. This line of work will give you ulcers if you let it.
You will want to hook up with a quality company. The Biggies, J.B Hunt, Schneider, Swift, they will be good to get your feet wet for a year. Then look for a company such as Crete Carriers, or a niche company. The company i drive for requires at least 5 years OTR before they will think about hiring you. I haul HazMat.
The thing i can offer you is advice and answer questions you have. Just remember, you asked the question, don't get mad at me for answering. Kinda like, be careful what you ask for, you might just get it!
Good Luck!
Erick.