View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 04:00 AM
Elder User

Louisville Joe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I agree with Dave Fritz. The Super Duty Fords were as good if not better than any other comparibly sized gasoline engine in it's day. The GMC V-6's might have been a bit better, but they were more modern with better cylinder head design and a very short stroke. They would really lug. There were 637 cubic inch V-8 and a 702 cubic inch V-12 versions too that were real powerhouses. The Reo/White V-8's were well respected, but I have no experience with them. All these large gasoline engines were popular in fire apparatus, as fire departments were among the last heavy truck users to go diesel. I am from Los Angeles, and anyone who lived in L.A. before the mid-70's remembers well the Hall-Scott powered Crown Firecoaches. Crown was primarily a school bus manufacturer (right in downtown L.A., if you can believe it!) but did build some fire apparatus. Crown favored the big 935 and 1091 cubic inch Hall Scotts. These engines were in-line 6's with aluminum hemi heads, overhead cam, dual ignition, and 5 barrel Zenith carburetors (some of the late versions had 2 Holley 4bbls). Many of those old 50's era Crowns ran a 1250 g.p.m. pump, and a few had 2000 g.p.m. pumps. They would often beat the ambulance to the incident as well. Absolute monsters. Crown build some smaller pumpers on Ford C trucks with 534's too.