View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 12:03 AM
F0rdFre@K
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You looking to upgrade your existing truck?

Guess we need more info about you and your skills with tools and how comfortable are you with completely disassembling your truck?

1st things first. What front axle are you wanting to install? A IFS or a Solid Axle? If you want an IFS, I'm 100% positive you could easily find one at a truck wrecking yard. If you want a solid front axle, you can find one but, you'll have to do more cutting/welding to get it installed then if you did a swap in IFS from a 4WD truck.

IF you find a good donor truck for the IFS, you may also have found your source for your tranny and t-case as well.

Do you want to stick with an Auto? Or do you want to swap in a 5 speed? What are you going to be doing with your truck once it's converted? Are you planning on rock crawling? Baja racing? Or, is this just to convert it for the fun of it?

BTW: welcome to the site.

Had a 97 F150 X Cab 4x4 with the 4.6L V8 and 5 Speed tranny. I loved that truck but, wanted something BIGGER. So, I traded it for my 01 F350 that only lasted me <2weeks. Oh well, live and learn...