View Single Post
Old 12-08-2002, 10:32 AM
MAK347
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
!!!!Spark Plug Ejection!!!!

Just a quick FYI. Re-tighten your spark plugs periodically! I blew the #3 plug traveling to Pa. on Thanksgiving day. The ejection force also severed the retaining ear on the coil pack and screwed up the threads on the cylinder head. Upon inspecting the spark plug, I found only slight imperfections on the last 2 threads leading me to believe that the plug slowly eeked its way out over time. I limped to a local Ford dealer who wouldn't honor the factory warranty due to the performance modifications I've made. I had a choice of replacing the head or removing both heads to install the heli-coils in all 8 spark plug holes for the same money - (3k ouch!). I opted for heli-coil fix for extra durability - I'm running 14psi of boost. I'm also writing a letter to Ford to complain as I've found out that this is a fairly common failure in stock and supercharged 5.4's. I've got 31k miles on my truck and will now check my plugs every 7-10k miles for piece of mind. Hope this saves someone else the wallet depleting aggravation I just experienced.

Mike K
2001 Black Lightning #3440
Diablo Chip - 6# Program
PSP Filter
PSP 6# Lower Pulley
Single Blade T-Body
Tranny Valve Body
Truck-Tracs Bars
Motorsport 1-1/4" Lowering Kit
Bald F1's