Old 02-02-2009, 08:07 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Quote:
It hasn't been noticeably using oil other than it does drip a tad; as a result I probably add 1/2 quart of oil every 2K miles.

Did you know that you are using less oil than what would be acceptable by Ford when your truck was new? Using one quart in 600 miles, not 1/2 in 2,000, is the limit before Ford will do anything. At least it was when my truck was new. I and my friend bought trucks at the same time. His ate oil. He had to document every drop of oil and mile driven. Their statement was that 1 quart in 600 miles was acceptable oil consumption. His ate more.
You are worrying over something you should just let be. My truck uses that much oil, and has done so since new. I end up adding 1/2 quart and then it will be good until just about time for an oil change.
Save your money for a new truck, unless you want to tear into it. If you spent $100, and quit burning oil completely, and oil was $4/quart, you would have to travel 100,000 miles to break even.
1/2qt/2000= 1qt/4000, $100/$4 = 25 quarts. Do you think you will spend more than $100? Will your gas mileage improve to help pay for the job? I can't answer, but I know I am keeping my truck as is, and it burns about what yours does. And it is almost 10 years older.
tom