View Single Post
Old 01-29-2009, 12:08 AM
CheaperJeeper
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How water soluble is glycerol?

I'm looking at how to best use my newly aquired hardware to set up my process. I'm at least going to start with mist water washing and here's what I'm thinking of for my process.

Make 50 gallon batches in the 80 gallon HW heater based reactor. Reactor vent line discharges into 50 gallon HW heater based methanol recovery still for capture. Run at 160*F continuously recirculating with the pump for 2 hours (longer? shorter?).

Once the reaction is complete, pump the reactor contents into 70 gallon cone tank for settling.

Once settling is complete pump glycerol from cone tank into 50 gallon HW heater based methanol recovery still.

Water mist wash bio in 70 gallon cone tank & allow to settle.

Once settling is complete pump soapy water from cone tank into 50 gallon HW heater based methanol recovery still. Assuming glycerol is fully water soluble this will help thin the glycerol and keep it from gelling in the tank.

Pump bio back into reactor and heat/circulate to dry fuel and drive off unreacted methanol (not sure if there will be any after water washing?). All vapors from reactor will continue to be vented into methanol recovery still for capture. Continue to heat and circulate at 160*F until methanol recovery is complete (is that the right temp? Higher? Lower? For how long?).

Heat and circulate wash water/glycerol mixture in methanol recovery still to boil off methanol and recover methanol from vapor discharged through a condensor that is being chilled by cold water. Possibly with a vacuum pump installed between the still and the condensor to speed up the process.

Pump finished fuel from reactor into storage.

Pump methanol-free soapy water/glycerol mixture from still into drums for disposal.

SO, is there anything I'm missing?
Any steps that should be changed?
Any better ideas on how to run the process (excluding dry washing - we may do that but aren't going to be ready for it right out of the gate)?

Any and all opinions welcome.