Old 04-23-2003, 01:20 PM
rleeds
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator wires, starter won't disengage where do the wires go?

The never ending discussion about my'85 F150 continues...
I installed a 351w into my 4x4 F150, replacing the I6/300.

The donor engine had the wires cut at the alternator. The colors don't match what came with the truck harness. I did some educated guessing and now I'm having problems.

The new alternator is a 60a. When I start the truck, the starter does not disengage. The stator connection is disconnected/cut. I believe I have the fatter threaded connector connected correctly. The smaller threaded connection is a plug on.

If I turn the ignition key on and disconnect the little red wire from the starter solenoid I can jump the solenoid and start it. However, it is not charging. I swapped the old 40a back in and get the same symptoms. Everything worked on both engines prior to the engine swap so I'm sure I hooked something up wrong.

I am at wits end as this is the last thing to accomplish to get this truck on the road. What I would really like to know is can I bypass the wires on the alternator with alligator clips and make direct connections to do some tests? If so what do I clip to what?

I would like to verify what each connection goes to on the back of the alternator and possibly if anyone knows the colors.

Thanks a million guys.
Rick