Thread: WVO Safety?
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 03:50 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
PM me and tell me what wacky stuff y'all come up with when it gets cold up there!! Gas engines running on VO?? I'll tell ya what little we learned about the little '2 tank/dual fuel' Newton.
Its true, laugh as much as you want, or dont believe it.

If you heat WVO, or probably almost any oil, enough, it turnes into a gas, which for the lack of a more associative word, we'll call "producers gas"

The trick is to not have any oxygen mixed in until the mix is cooled off.

For example, my first project was as follows.

1. oil furnace oil nozzle burner as a heat source
2. steel coiled tubing heated from heat source (red f'ing hot)
3. gasoline engine.

The steel tubing in the furnace is directly in the flame. one end goes to the WVO "dripper", the other through a "throttle" valve and into the air intake on the carb.

Once you let the WVO start dripping, out the other end, white gas starts pouring out.(as long as the "throttle valve" is open) once enough bellows out, its time to open the the throttle a little on the engine, and pull start it. Mine started the first pull, and this engine wouldnt even run on gas, so I assume this gas is easily ignited.

Playing with the valve and throttle, you can get different RPM's and mixtures, but unfortuneately this system cuts the HP of the engine almost in half.

Now, I'm trying to get a gas engine to run on oil a different way. I'm welding the head completely flat, leaving no room for air at all. Then, I'm making special combustion units that screw in the spark plug holes. Each one is cylindrical and lined with a ceramic material to retain enough heat to keep it really hot for 100% combustion. Also in there will be a spark igniter to aid in starting. In the end, I expect the oil to burn just perfect even at 8:1 compression, once she warms up.

Unfortuneately this one will need a fuel injection system, but I'll probably rig something half azzed to test before buying anything.