View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 03:28 PM
J1MMY
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do, I thought I had put some on the '80 - '86 forum but maybe not (It's been plugged over here on a few forums as its something of a rarity.)

Ok quick build thread.........

Axle out........

Chassis notched......

ARB shortened appropriately.....

Back on.....

Stance check.

It looks like somewhat less than a 6" drop and with the BFG's being a touch on the large side I knew that they would be no good and had already secured a pair of 225 50 15's .

This added up to a more pleasing 8" drop....

However, the dream beams (lowering I beams for Ford Trucks) still hadn't arrived from the States, so the front and rear wheels were swapped around and the truck was driven back from Poole to Bristol gasser style - it was so ugly I couldn't bring myself to take pics. To keep me going and to get an idea of what it was like, another kind friend did a photochop of the truck with the front down....

In the meantime while waiting for the Beams to arrive, I picked up some E150 van steels to replace the chrome steels with - due to their offset I was concerned about clearance at the front. You wouldn't think it, but you are actually pretty limited on running wide wheels with a drop.

They, and the wheels arrived a week before Christmas and again Mr Coltech was kind enough to have my truck in on the Monday after Christmas (as well as store it from Christmas Eve!) to get the front down. I'll be honest in saying that as much as I had a great Christmas with the other half's family but knowing that the truck was only 15 mins away meant much time waiting for monday to come around : ;D.

After a day spent on the front, she was finally looking more like my kind of truck. Paul's workshop was pretty busy and I was happy to get on with it myself although he did help with one or tweaks - the springs needed shortening as the beams only give a 3" drop so new securing clips for the spring tops were needed. Also, we couldn't understand why it hadn't dropped as much as it should have until we saw that the ARB was fouling the steering arms. Bye bye ARB, hello lowered truck. 6 1/2" at the front to be exact.

So here is where she is at today.....thank you for reading my essay.