View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 09:32 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clintbonnie
I torqued my rear axle nut according to info here on the forum recently. copied from a post:

Remove the caliper and wire it up out of the way so the line doesn't get damaged. Then remove the caliper anchor plate. Now the 8 axle bolts on the hub then slide the axle shaft out. Now you'll need the 4 prong socket.....remove the hub nut. Remove the outer rear wheel bearing and the rear hub and brake disc assembly. Then remove the bolts that hold the two together. (for a dually).

When you re-install the hub nut, push in on the socket so the ratcheting parts of the hub nut don't engage and tighten to 70 lb/ft and then back it off 90º. Now retorque it to 18 lb/ft to 20lb/ft max. ( quoted from AustinS)

Is this OK.. or should I redo the torque..?
Its been a while, since I did mine, but 90* backup, is probably pretty similar to the 5 clicks back off. HOWEVER, I cannot tell you they use the same system on th D80s, as the sterlings. I do not know the torque sequence for the D80s. I do think however that Austin is pretty good at getting accurate info, dang near word for word, I dont imagine he would have quoted that info, unless he though it to be true.