View Single Post
Old 04-16-2003, 11:15 AM
Petrol
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 Powerstoke Vs. 6.8 Triton

John, it's clear that you love your diesel. I have no problem with that for I like them as well.

I am sorry for the mis posted 10 lb ft of torque. As I had said "if my memory serves me" It did not. I was corrected by a later post and saw no need to edit my original post.

Then PSD option $$$ figure I gave is not MSRP. I think actual MSRP for the diesel is $5667 above the cost of the standard 5.4L V-8. I think the V-10 option is $525 above the cost of the 5.4L V-8. I tried to give a good number but as you say, MSRP can be haggled down. Let's see, with a $45k truck you may be able to get them down to $38k, that's 15% off 'retail' . . . apply that same discount to the cost of the diesel and it still will cost you more then $4350 MORE then the V-10 at the time of purchase.

As for resale, it's a mixed bag at best. Everyone knows that 90% of all SuperDuty trucks come from the factory with the PSD so finding a used V-10 is a little tough . . . But I did find a '01 F250 XLT w/ V-10 at a local dealer. It just happens that the same dealer had a '01 F250 Lariet w/ 7.3 PSD as well! Both had less then 40,000 miles and are in great condition yet the asking price for for them is within $2500 and the PSD is in the 'up-scale Lariet! Leather and all!

As for the MPG . . . the numbers I posted for both the V-10 and the 6.0 PSD are "Real World" averages for V-10 and 6.0 PSD equipt trucks in our fleet based on many, many tanks of fuel, NOT just a "Best Ever" single tank or trip computer calculation.

I think you have me all wrong. I like diesels, I just am able to see that for the "personal use" owner who rarely tows the rated capacity, does not routinily load the bed with tons of stuff, run more then 60,000 miles a year or plan on logging over 300,000 miles before replacing their truck, they may just be better off with the V-10 . . . unless of-course they simply WANT the PSD . . .it is their money after all and many of my friends question my need for an 8 passanger SUV that routinely carries only one driver, lol.